Dangers of the Conservatives
OK so I get that this is a predominantly “work-based” blog, but its my blog and I can write about what the hell I like. And tomorrow is kind of an important day……it’s the long awaited election day.
This will be the fifth General Election that I have been able to cast my vote and in all of them I have done so, primarily because I believe it is my duty. There are a hell of a lot of places where there is no real democracy and say what you like about the UK system, it ain’t that bad. So first of all, those of you that can vote, please do so.
Secondly, I want to talk about the Conservative party and David Cameron. This man and this party are dangerous. If in 24 or 36 or 48 hours we find him preparing to enter Number 10, the British people will have made a monumental mistake. I know people feel the need for change, but change in itself is not a reason to put this country at risk. Harsh? I don’t think so.
1) The Conservatives pledge to implement immediate spending cuts will place the country in significant risk of a double dip recession. You may not like Brown, but he has consistently and rightly argued that reducing spending whilst the economy is in such a precarious state is madness. We are not out of the woods yet and we need to keep this fragile economy secure.
2) The Conservatives are about the rich and the wealthy. Increasing the inheritance tax threshold to £2m (£1m and £1m tranfer to spouse), does that sound like something that will help you? Is this something that you think resonates when spending cuts on essential services are taking place? Giving to the richest 3,000 whilst punishing the vulnerable.
3) The Conservatives want to introduce directly elected Police Commissioners…..just hold that thought. So I could become a Police Commissioner? Really? My relevant experience is……. But what happens when the local bully boy, the local lunatic….the BNP get elected. Do we want our Police to be governed by powerful individual war lords? Accountable to and serving whom exactly?
4) The Conservatives promise a free vote on the repeal of the hunting ban. The ban that was democratically passed through parliament. The ban that has seen an end to the jolly hockey sticks brigade donning red jackets and tearing up the countryside with dogs in the pursuit of an innocent beast yet at the same time promising elsewhere they will be “vigilant in the welfare of animals”…..
5) The Conservatives promise to reduce the number of MPs by 10%. These will not be Conservative MPs. Boundaries will be redrawn to shore up the Conservative MPs and to weaken “opposition” MPs in a process called gerrymandering. They have done it before, they will do it again to make sure that they stay in power – for their benefit, not for yours.
This is a party that aligns itself with far right parties in the European parliament that consistently vote against Lesbian Gay and Bisexual rights, that supports a candidate who allegedly prayed to remove the “demons” from homosexuals. This is not a party of tolerance or social justice, whatever they may say.
The right-wing press and Cameron will tell you that a hung parliament is a bad thing. Don’t be scared by this nonsense. Don’t be fooled by the last-minute strong-arm tactics to try to re-establish their supremacy. This is the party that is against voting reform, that is against reform of the House of Lords that is against reform of the Westminster voting system.
This is not a party of change and progress, this is a party of the elite and the establishment.
Whatever you do, please vote. Just, for the love of God, don’t vote for them.