Naked people have little or no influence on society

06/04/2010

[tweetmeme]

The sun is starting to make its annual appearance and in turn we await the numerous blog posts about what is and isn’t acceptable to wear in the office.  So to save you all the bother, here is the definitive list of office do’s and don’ts:

Do – Wear a suit

Don’t – Wear anything but a suit

Clear?  Ok…so maybe that is a little draconian.  I’m a liberal guy.  In fact I’m wearing a pink, lime and sky blue shirt this morning…..so I know how to push the envelope.   But the point remains…..just because there is a little sun there is no need to go completely over the top.

I don’t want to see abundant flesh in the workplace.  It’s work for crying out loud.  I see you with flip-flops on my overwhelming urge is to “accidently” tread on your foot to make a point.  If you are wearing clothes which struggle to contain your body then either buy bigger clothes or a smaller body.  Even if it is hot, you can still dress appropriately and stay cool….lots of people manage it.

And as for you creative monkeys out there…..before we here the argument about “stifling your creative juices”. Did Michelangelo paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in ripped jeans and an “ironic” t-shirt? Did Da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa in Converse and shorts? Don’t get me started………..

So debate over.  No need for any more discussion.  You have been told.

1. 06/04/2010 10:39

I think you are a fascist. You have a passion for uniform for uniformity’s sake.

What is the point in everyone being in a suit? I can see the point if you need to go out and deal with people external to your own workplace- ie you need to impress clients etc. But if you don’t do that, and within your office you won’t come into contact with anyone other than your work colleagues, why do you need to wear a suit?

When you work from home, do you wear a suit on top of your shirt of many colours?

There are clearly areas of life where there is a need for hard discipline, and a uniform might reflect that. However, unless you work for the police, prison service, or the armed forces I fail to understand your position.

2. 06/04/2010 11:44

Mostly I’m not fussed by what people choose to wear. So I initially wanted to disagree…. however… you go on to mention flip-flops. At this point, I’d suggest accidentally treading on someone’s foot to make a point is a little wide of the mark. Go home, get bigger boots, come back, then stamp on it. If there’s a more irritating noise than someone walking in flipflops, I can’t bring it to mind right now.

So OK, I’ll back you on the suits… if it means I need never hear flip… flop… flip… flop… again!

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

3. Corporate Daycare permalink
    06/04/2010 12:20

Here, here!

You can look and feel cool without looking like you were on the way to the beach and then remembered you were suppose to be at work.

And that baloney about only dressing up if you have to deal with external people…pffh…a COO and Director are not external, but they certainly don’t need to be faced with an oufit that looks like it came from my 13-yr daughter’s closet.

Uniform and suit? Maybe not.
    Business sense? Yes!

4. 06/04/2010 13:04

LOL @ “If you are wearing clothes which struggle to contain your body then either buy bigger clothes or a smaller body”.

Depends on the workplace in question; wearing suits when everyone else from CEO down wear khaki/jeans would be off. That said, I try to adhere to my own standards and not dip too low if in an extremely dress casual environment.

On the flip side, there are also a million & one ways to dress appropriately without a suit.

5. 06/04/2010 14:34

Amen to the suits. It’s hard to take someone seriously when she is wearing capris and sandals. (No naked feet! No naked feet!) Work is work and fun is fun. Know the difference and dress appropriately.

(And don’t even make me smack you for wearing Crocs to church.)

6. 06/04/2010 18:51

This brings back so many memories of my time in clothing retail. The “creative” teams dressed “creatively” all year round, the rest of Head Office soon followed suit once the sun came out, and don’t get me started on the outfits come dress down Friday! The HR team purposely did a “dress up” Friday for a while, wearing our smartest suits just to make everyone else look even scruffier!

The best example of inappropriate dressing had to be a technical guy at the factory who wore short shorts that left little to the imagination, and raised many complaints from the women on the factory floor.

7. 06/04/2010 21:47

ROFL 😀 OK, tomorrow I’ll be burning all my shorts on a ‘Creative Pyre’ kindled by ripped jeans and Ironic T-shirts in the memory of this blog. Amen.

8. 06/06/2010 18:15

Hmm, I really don’t agree about the need to wear a suit – times have moved on no? Surely it’s about dressing appropriately? It’s a bit like a nightclub not letting people in who are wearing jeans.

9. 06/07/2010 07:32

@fernandomando – Did you read the post? Or just the first two lines?

@James Mayes – flip flop, flip flop, flip flop……..(sorry couldn’t resist)

@Corporate Daycare – You have a 13 year old daughter? You don’t look old engough 🙂

@Geekette – “there are also a million & one ways to dress appropriately without a suit” – Agreed. That’s all I’m saying….

@The gold digger – Naked feet = wrong

@Jennie Horchover – Welcome and thanks for taking the time to comment. I’m liking the idea of “dress up” Fridays. I think it could have a whole host of potential!

@andsomepeople – Thanks for your honesty. We’re there for you. Reach out…..

@Abi Signorelli – Abi, you’re right. I wouldn’t say a suit was absolute. Just that there are a trillion ways of dressing appropriately without looking like a day at the beach.